Here in America, May is National Bike Month. That got me thinking that I haven’t made an entry in My Bicycle Diary in months because of… reasons. OK, the reasons are that I haven’t spent much time on it over the winter wet and dreary winter and haven’t got up the gumption to start biking again, but I thought this would be a great time to get back to commuting with it as well as doing recreational rides with the missus. I also thought it might be a good month to get other people telling their bicycle stories as well. So, for the month of May I’d like to make an event of it. So I am and here’s how it’s going to work.
- I’ll make an Event post each Thursday in May that I’ll stick to my home page for one week.
- You create a post for your bicycle story
- Use the tag Bicycle Stories Month and/ or include a Pingback to the weekly event post
- On the following Tuesday, depending on the number of participants, I’ll either reblog and/ or post a round-up of some of my favorites.
If you’d like to participate then starting Thursday May 1st, just get out on your bike and then post about it. That’s it, no prompts no specific challenge to it just lets tell stories about bikes for a month. Your post can be in any format your comfortable with and can just needs to be broadly about cycling.
- A story or journal entry about your day out biking.
- A photo essay showing places you visited on your bike (it’d be nice to include some pictures of your bikes).
- A journalism piece about a bicycle event in your community.
- The tale of teaching you child or sibling how to ride
- When you got your first bike
- Tell us why you hate riding a bike.
- A how to on bike repairs
- Anything you want just as long as it involves a bike.
If you have any questions or just want to talk about this event leave your comments on the Bicycle Stories Event Page.
Don’t have a Blog? We got you covered.
If you want to participate without a blog you can enter a short post or share your photos on this blogs Facebook page to share your biking stories this month. I’ll be sharing bike related links there all month.
I hope that you’ll join in and have some fun with this event.
There might even be a badge.
5 thoughts on “Bicycle Stories | A blogging event”
You have an exciting idea with your May event. May is also National Mental Health month but if I can pull everything together, I’ll see what I can put together, I used to ride 20 miles a day, everyday and no excuses for weather – no promises at the present time. You are off to a great start here and let’s see – I bet you will gain followers.
Mental health month as well. One of the very first blogs I started following when I first came to word press was PedalPower65 He talks of bicycling as a way to mitigate his depression. It struck a cord with me because I was, at the time, using my bike as a way to cope with becoming sober.
Twenty miles is a pretty tall order for me especially after taking the bulk of the winter months off, but I do try to at least make my commute as close to ten miles as my schedule will allow. Even if you don’t get to ride very much this month please do try to share any tales and memorable moments you have.
Thanks for coming by and thank you for your comments, hope to hear more from you during this event.
I’ll do my best to get up at least a couple bike post and wish I had the time to do more. I also turned to the bike as a recovery tool. I was a multiple-addict and went cold turkey.
The bike is a great tool for recovery. No worries or pressure about posting. The main idea I has for this event was to build community, and that’s what we’re doing with this conversation. 🙂
Community it is for right now, for today.